Friday, February 8, 2013

One Sided Arguments

1. Why is Lady Gaga so loved by our generation?

2. Is Paglia biased tword the older gereation of music and thinking?

3. Is Gagas extreme wardrobe and overtly sexual lyrics "corrupting" our younger generation?

In response to Camille Paglia's "Lady Gaga and the Death of Sex" I will be answering all three of the questions above.

 It seems like every time I turn on the radio a Gaga song is playing on at least one of the stations if not more. She is definitley loved by many people, but why? I agree with Paglia in the sense that her songs are a bunch of catchy nonsense that you cant help but get stuck in your head, but I think she is loved for alot more. Lady Gaga is not afraid to be put in the spot light thats for sure, she says what she wants and dresses in wildly outrageous costumes, and I commend her for that. She encourages self expression.. maybe not in the best way, but she does tell her "little monsters" that they ae beautiful just the way they are and I feel that this is why she is so loved by so many. Our youth today are bombarded by the superficial standards of what is beautiful. Even back when I was growing up I always felt the pressure to have the "supermodel" physique, and the fact the Lady Gaga takes the time to tell her fans that they are perfect the way they are and that self expression is a beautiful thing, I think, is why she has such a large fan base.

Now with all that said, I have to touch on Gagas Lyrics and outrageous outfits. Normaly I wouldent have a problem with extreme or avant garde outfits, which seem to be on trend these days, but Gaga takes it to the utmost extreme. It seems like everywhere she goes she is wearing some horrendously absurd costume (I think we all remember that all meat dress she wore a few years ago). What does all of this say to the younger generations? Gaga is undoutably a role model to many young adolescences and the fact that she is bringing sex and violence into her songs and performances could be taken in some circumstances as "corruption" of their inocence.

Ok enough with Gaga, on to the author. Camille Paglia does make some good points but all of what she is saying doesnt seem to be anything but a rant about how much she dislikes Gaga. Throughout the piece she is constantly comparing Gaga to older well known artists, mainly Madona. The piece as a whole just seems a little to one sided, favoring Madona and the other older artists. I never really understood what her argument truely was, it was mostly a piece about how much she dislikes Lady Gaga and how she favors other artists. I personaly was extremely confused by the end of the article because the author never really got to poving her title.. that Gaga is in fact " the death of sex ".

2 comments:

  1. I was really confused to on what Camile Paglia was trying to get through because it seemed like the whole point was just to bash Gaga. I do agree that it is great that she encourages poeple to be who they are as well and I also believe that's why so many people look up to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla, you touched a really good point I forgot to mention. Lady Gaga is definitely not one of my favorites either, but I love the message that she sends out to the world and her "little monsters". She simply states that we are "Born This Way", whether it be gay, straight, asian, black, or white. It's time for people to gratiously accept what other people are BORN as. I love that people listen to her music and feel better about themselves. I have "Born This Way" on my workout set list!!! It gets me going! So after all the posts I've read, this was the one fact that we could all agree on. Gaga is an inspiration for embracing one's true self.

    ReplyDelete