In response to C.S. Lewis's Vivisection I have these 3 questions:
1. Is Vivisection ever morally right?
2. Should we test on animals?
3. What are some other alternatives to Vivisection?
I will answer question one and two:
In the article Lewis goes back and forth between different views on Vivisection and every one of them seems to have its arguments for and against but they all still seem to come to the conclusion that Vivisection is not right, I personally have a two sided stance on the matter, I'm sure there are some people who agree with me. I think that animal testing is not morally right. Animals cannot speak for themselves, and I do believe that every animal has a conscious mind no matter how small. I believe that they do feel, they feel pain, joy, and fear.
Now with that said I will address question two. I think that if the animal is being tested on to help the human race for the better that animal testing is ok. Animal testing has proven very helpful in the field of science and medicine without it we would not have a lot of the medical and scientific advances we do today. I do not wish there to be cruelty in the pursuit of finding these advances but I know that that cannot be true. Cruelty mostelikely comes with the territory of Vivisection. I hate to think of the cruelty that is done to these animals in the pursuits of finding advances but I ultimately feel that it is for "greater good".
I like what you said about the fact that cruelty comes with the pursuit of finding the advances of medical and scientific achievements. Although I feel as you do about animal testing, I agree that it should stay as cruelty free as possible if testing is absolutely necessary for human's "greater good."
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree. I was kind of torn on this one too. I love animals so much but at the same time, there are so many products out there that people use and the ONLY way for it to be sold to the public is by getting some kind of clearance. If we all signed a disclaimer when we bought something that said, "Use at your own risk" then there would be no need for animal testing. The reality is that if products are not tested on animals, they will be tested on us and unless we can all agree to live like that, no animal testing is a dream. I do think though that if an animal is going to be killed anyways, using it for science is great. We can donate ourselves to science as is by being a donor on our drivers license. The fact that animals are used to come up with kidney medicines is AWESOME and if the process is painless AND they were going to be euthanized anyways, it is a win win situation. Aside from that, if people really did not want helpless animals to die, they would go out of their way to spay and nuder their pets. So many unwanted animals are brought into this world because people refuse to have these procedures done to their animals to avoid pregnancy.
ReplyDelete